- MMI Guides
- MMI Semantic Framework
- Community Collaborations
- Professional Opportunities
- MMI Committees & Teams
- MMI Workshops
- Presentations and Papers
- Vocabularies & Standards
- Metadata Tools
- Projects & Organizations
- Search MMI References
- Add Content to Site
- About MMI
MMI Semantic Framework
Marine Science and the Semantic Web
MMI has long considered a semantic component critical to enabling the highest levels of data interoperability. To that end, MMI has developed a set of guidance documents, worked with the marine science community to establish a set of best practices, and developed tools to allow users to work with semantic technologies without becoming bogged down in the intricacies of the semantic web. The resulting Semantic Framework will facilitate data interoperability in the marine science community while providing linkages to the broader semantic web.
This page introduces MMI's Semantic Framework development efforts and includes links to relevant documentation, guidance, tools, and presentations that have been created by and for the various communities that collaborate and support MMI's Semantic Framework.
We would love to have feedback on any of the information presented here. Feel free to get in touch.
-- MMI Team
New to Semantics?
If the MMI Guidance below doesn't get you started right, try some of the other material referenced in our basic semantic resources page.
Basic Semantic Framework Resources
- A Brief Outline of the Semantic Framework
- Use Cases: Vocabularies in a Semantic Framework
- Vocabularies in the Ontology Registry & Repository
- Vocabularies Hosted by MMI but not yet Registered in the Ontology Registry & Repository
- Add Your Vocabulary or Ontology
- Introduction to Metadata
- The Importance of Metadata Standards
- Metadata-related Case Studies
- What is a Controlled Vocabulary?
- The Importance of Controlled Vocabularies
- Ontologies: Robust Controlled Vocabularies
- Ontology Providers Guide
MMI recently held a workshop to demonstrate, discuss, and work with the Semantic Framework. Relevant presentations are provided below.
- MMI Tools Overview
- Ontologies and Semantic Applications in Earth Sciences
- OOI Cyberinfrastructure and Semantics
- Ontology Best Practices: Experiences with SWEET.
- GEOSS "Interoperability"
- Registry & Repository: a community site where ontology providers and users can collaborate to host, annotate, and use ontologies of relevance to the marine science community
- voc2rdf: a vocabulary to rdf converter application which takes tab- and comma-delimited data and converts it to a standard ontology format, then allows for submission to the Registry & Repository
- VINE: Vocabulary Integration Environment, provides for advanced mapping between ontologies
Additional MMI Resources
Posted December 9th, 2008 by paul