- MMI Guides
- MMI Semantic Framework
- Community Collaborations
- Professional Opportunities
- MMI Committees & Teams
- MMI Workshops
- Presentations and Papers
- Vocabularies & Standards
- Metadata Tools
- Projects & Organizations
- Search MMI References
- Add Content to Site
- About MMI
Navigation by Taxonomy
Navigating the MMI site using taxonomy tags
MMI TaxonomiesThe MMI site is organized primarily by taxonomies, or vocabularies that are used to tag the content on the site. We have provided a way to navigate around these taxonomies, going up or down the tree, and find all the content that has been tagged with that taxonomic term.
Taxonomies For NavigationYou can navigate the following taxonomies by clicking on their names, which will take you to a navigation tree you can follow to find terms and content.
The keyword taxonomy organizes content by marine metadata interoperability concepts. These terms can be used to find related content. For example, the assigned keyword is presented as a link at the top of each page. The complete taxonomy is presented at the link above.
URL Path Taxonomy
The URL Path taxonomy organizes content by "location" (or URL). In this taxonomy, each term corresponds to an element of the primary URL path at which the content can be found. So if the node has as its primary alias 'http://marinemetadata.org/community/teams/ont/tutorprotegeowl", you can find a term in URL Path taxonomy that is ont, and whose parents are 'teams' and 'community'.
Even more interestingly, access to content can be constructed in a web browsers using these terms in three simple steps:
- Open a location that begins http://marinemetadata.org
- Append a path corresponding to the ontology hierarchy you are interested in, in this case /community/teams/ont
- Append '/content'
This URL— http://marinemetadata.org/community/teams/ont/content — will produce a listing of all the terms and content under the term community:teams:ont in the URL Path taxonomy.
Additional Taxonomies in Use on the MMI Site
- Group Content Filing System: Used to organize group content into the "Team Content" menu in the Team Section
- Reference Type*: Classification of references, including Initiatives, Vocabularies & Standards, and Tools
- Reference Primary Audience*: Classify content according to the type of individual who will utilize the information
- Reference Status*: Classify references according to the maturity status
- Guides Glossary: Used to relate terminology throughout the site to the glossary of terminology, developed by the MMI Guides Team
- Opportunity Types**: Classification of opportunity, based on type
- Reference Topics*: Classification of reference pages, based on conceptual keywords
- Forums: Classification of discussion forums.
** Included in the Add Opportunity Page, used to generate the Community > Professional Opportunities Page
Posted July 7th, 2008 by graybeal