- MMI Guides
- MMI Semantic Framework
- Community Collaborations
- Professional Opportunities
- MMI Committees & Teams
- MMI Workshops
- Presentations and Papers
- Vocabularies & Standards
- Metadata Tools
- Projects & Organizations
- Search MMI References
- Add Content to Site
- About MMI
A place where we can all critique freely
Fran, Andy, and I have been brainstorming on my project that I will be working on this summer. Before I progress more into the CMSP Controlled Vocabulary criteria, I have a few questions that I hope can be answered.
1. There are several questions on the Draft Criteria that has several parts within it. Is it suitable to break those down so that we can narrow down exactly what is asked in the question? For example, #7 ask: "Does the vocabulary have a governance structure? Is there a well-documented system for suggesting new terms and have them adopted for the larger community? (Email request to the author/maintainer? Formal committee/ reviewstructure?)"
2. #6 states: "Does the vocabulary make a clean distinction between types and instances?" There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what this entails. Do you want to examine each of their vocabulary terms and see if they make that clear distinction between types and instances? What is a good example of a vocabulary that has a distinction between types and instances? Is there even one?
3. #12 states: "Have one or more science/disciplinary communities approved and/or adopted the vocabulary?" Wouldn't that be similar to mapping/ crosswalks? (#9)
4. A lot of the questions ask if each component is being maintained. Wouldn't that be the same as #3. Different versions allow revisions and updates to be posted and shown to the public.
6. #8: "extensible to new levels" meaning continuing an hierarchical level? That would require a suggestion of a term and then having that term be extensible right?
I think clearing up the uncertainty of the Draft Criteria questions will allow a smoother ride in locating more of these controlled vocabularies. Attached is a copy of the matrix that I have started on in excel. Please add, delete, suggest, comment, etc. I want you to critique, it will only help perfect the process.
Thanx!! -Katherine email@example.com
Posted July 13th, 2011 by katherine_yee